To support your work in bringing quality STEM learning opportunities to Iowa youth, we offer the STEM Scale-Up Program of the Iowa Governor’s STEM Advisory Council. A top priority of the STEM Council is to help improve learner interest and achievement in STEM areas. To help meet this goal, 11 exemplary STEM programs have been competitively selected to be implemented throughout Iowa in 2016-17, six renewed from last year, plus 5 additional programs.
Who can apply?
PreK-12 educators, both in and out of the classroom, are eligible to apply, so long as they have undergone a criminal background check as a requirement of employment. Eligible applicant(s) include public and private school PreK-12 teachers, youth organization leaders, informal education professionals, home school associations, and others who deliver STEM education programming. Every applicant must secure the commitment and signature of the institution’s lead administrator(s).
This is a program award, not a grant.
It is a program delivered to selected applicants. However, applicants who propose to cost-share by absorbing some expenses (e.g. supplies, travel, or administration, etc.) or bringing additional funding (e.g. a grant or private sector donation, etc.) will be considered favorably during the review process. Some STEM Scale-Up Programs require cost sharing, as noted in their descriptions.
Help us evaluate the programs.
Once the program has been implemented, all awarded educators will be required to participate in assessing the effectiveness of their STEM Scale-Up program with the following:
- A form providing participant information;
- A student interest questionnaire with data reported in aggregate through the use of electronic templates; and
- A mid-year and end-of-year feedback form detailing the quality of support from the regional manager and program provider.
- [Note: Some program providers may request additional evaluation data.]
Resources for the Application
- 2016-17 STEM Scale-Up Program Menu
- Commitment Letter (must be typed, signed, and uploaded to this application on question #30 before submission)
- A copy of the STEM Scale-Up application
- Application Timeline
- Iowa’s Regional STEM Managers and a map of their regions
- 2016-17 Scoring Rubric
If you have questions about the program or the application process, please contact your Regional STEM Manager.
The application due date is March 1, 2016, 5:00 P.M. (CT). Selected applicants will be notified around the beginning of April.