The Computer Science is Elementary Schools Have Been Announced.
Gov. Kim Reynolds has announced the six schools selected to each receive $50,000 grants through the Computer Science is Elementary project.
The six schools, which Gov. Reynolds named at the 2019 Future Ready Iowa-STEM Summit, are:
- Denison Elementary in the Denison Community School District.
- Lenihan Intermediate in the Marshalltown Community School District.
- Cora B. Darling Elementary in the Postville Community School District.
- East Union Elementary in the East Union Community School District.
- Perry Elementary in the Perry Community School District.
- Richardson Elementary in the Fort Madison Community School District.
One Computer Science is Elementary School is located in each of the six regions established by the Governor’s Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Advisory Council. Loess Hills Computer Programming School in Sioux City also will receive $50,000 to serve as a project resource.
The vision of the Computer Science is Elementary program is to transform six high-poverty elementary schools into showcases of outstanding computer science education, including career exploration with employer partners, no later than the 2020-21 school year. These six Computer Science is Elementary Schools, plus Loess Hills Computer Programming School, will serve as a statewide resource for Iowa educators by sharing their curriculum and community engagement strategies. Computer science is a new basic skill in the 21st century, so building a strong foundation early for all students is critical. This will ensure they are well prepared later in their personal and professional lives, including for a dynamic workforce where a growing number of jobs require computer science skills.
- Loess Hills Elementary as Computer Science Blueprint
- Loess Hill Computer Programming School
- Coding in the Classroom
This project was made possible by the generous support from our private-sector partners:
- Collins Aerospace
- Principal Financial
- MidAmerican Energy
- Kemin Industries
- Alliant Energy
- The Technology Association of Iowa
- Paragon IT Professionals
- Pella Rollscreen Foundation
- Merchants Bonding Company
- Bankers Trust
For additional questions or assistance, please contact Wren Hoffman at email@example.com.